Dr. Roy Chapman Mathews, 44, a Douglas native, graduate of Coffee High School, and principal of Bainbridge High School, passed away Wednesday, August 11, 2021, following a brief illness.
Dr. Matthews was born March 10, 1977 in Douglas, GA, the son of Roy Chapman Mathews, Sr. and Betty Coffee Mathews. He was a graduate of Coffee County High School, Valdosta State University, Albany State University, and Nova Southeastern University. Roy moved to Bainbridge to teach social studies and coach a little ball and a few wrestlers in the early 2000s. Little did he know how his story would unfold. He married Brittney Brock in 2003 and they did their part to contribute to Bearcat Nation. Roy was a member of First Presbyterian Church.
Roy was that all around good guy who lived “faith, family, and football.” He was a coach at heart and spent his career coaching athletes, students, and staff in the ultimate game of life. When his hands came together while talking, well, you just knew it was serious. He loved everything about Bainbridge High School and Bearcat Athletics. Florida State was his college team of choice and he modeled himself after Bobby Bowden. He spent every moment he could on the river pulling the girls on a tube. He would always say, “I’ll pull you. I have a bad ankle and probably don’t need to get on that.” You could see his smile a mile away as they squealed. Roy enjoyed grilling and eating steak but not more than Sunday dinner at “Miss Robbie’s.” He always wanted people to “do right” and made sure you knew “the choice is yours.”
Survivors include his wife of 18 years, Brittney Brock Mathews; his daughters, Ramsey & Carlee; his mother, Betty Brantley of Douglas, GA; his other and daddy, James and Robbie Brock; his siblings, Leslie and Stacey Teston, of Douglas and Kelli and Tru Dickson of Bainbridge; and his nieces and nephews, Cade, Morgan, Allee Grace, and Brock. Roy was preceded in death by his father, Roy Chapman Mathews, Sr.
At the request of the Decatur County Board of Education, the memorial service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, August 14, 2021 at Bainbridge High School Gymnasium with Rev. Stephen Webb and Rev. John Wooden officiating. A private interment will be held at Pisgah Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery.
Online visitors may sign the guest register at www.bryantfuneralga.com. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Dr. Roy C. Mathews Scholarship, Bainbridge High School, 1 Bearcat Boulevard, Bainbridge, GA 39819 or Pisgah Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery Fund, C/O Jerry Jones, 4160 Thomasville Road, Climax, GA 39834.
- SGSC provides student debt relief in response to COVID-19
- Chiefs waive Miller as pre-season comes to a close
- City manager: Here is accurate American Rescue Plan Act information
- CRMC visits industry with vaccination education message
- Jim Keith, former Coffee High head football coach, passes at age 74
Latest from Staff Reports
- DPD officers investigating Sunday night shooting
- Joyce Milsap, wife of Country Music Hall of Fame member Ronnie Milsap, passes at 80
- CCSO, DPD release statement regarding Harris arrest
- GBI investigating sheriff's deputies' use of force in Harris arrest
- Monroe County officers arrest Broxton man for allegedly stealing three DNR Polaris Rangers and trailers