Coffee Regional Medical Center is proud to announce the 3rd annual “Mind Your Mammars” free Clinical Breast Exam Event. In an effort to promote breast health in our community and reach those individuals who are uninsured and who have not had annual breast exams, this clinic will offer a no-cost clinical breast exam by a licensed practitioner. This event is held each October during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
The free clinical breast exams will be held at CRH Oncology Group in Douglas on Tuesday, October 19, and Tuesday, October 26, from 5 pm to 7:30 pm. Appointments are available and are now being scheduled. To book, please call (912) 384-4111. These appointments are limited, so those interested are encouraged to call ahead and book.
In addition to the exams, this event will also offer important breast health educational materials and resources from the Coffee County Health Department, Beta Sigma Phi’s Think Pink initiative, CRMC Mammography department, CRH Women’s Center, and CRH Oncology Group. Safety precautions will be followed and all practitioners and patients will be required to wear a mask.
The American Cancer Society (ACS) offers much information about breast cancer online at https://www.cancer.org/research/cancer-facts-statistics/breast-cancer-facts-figures
Some highlights from the ACS site:
- Only 30% of uninsured women were up to date with breast cancer screening in 2018, compared to 64% of insured women.
- Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer in women and the second leading cause of cancer deaths in women.
- Early detection of breast cancer by mammography reduces the risk of breast cancer death and increases treatment options, including less extensive surgery and/or the use of chemotherapy with fewer side effects, and sometimes, the option to forgo chemotherapy.
CRH Oncology Group is located at 903 B West Ward Street, Douglas. CRMC Digital Mammography is also located at 190 Westside Drive, Suite D.
- CRMC to host 2021 Annual Community Health & Wellness Event
- Douglas police investigating non-fatal shooting on Shirley Avenue
- CRMC visits industry with vaccination education message
- CRMC to host job fair on August 11
- Only 28 percent of Coffee Countians vaccinated, indoor masks and social distancing recommended