Stingrays win state championship for fourth time in six years
- Written by Robert Preston
- Published in Sports
Featured Photo courtesy of Meg Minchew's Facebook page From left: The state champion 13-14 200 mixed free relay team: Jon Vickers, Ben Gowen, Maggie Minchew, and Loren O'Steen.
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
For the fourth time in six years, the Douglas Stingrays are state champions. The Stingrays finished first in both the men’s and women’s divisions at the Georgia Recreation and Parks Association state championship meet in Tifton last week. The women finished with 897 points while the men tallied 363.
In the women’s competition, Oconee finished second while Habersham came in third. On the men’s side, Jefferson came in second and Calhoun finished third.
The following individual swimmers won state titles:
- Anna Lee O’Steen – 50 free, 25 free, 25 fly
- Hope Tanner – 25 free
- Ben Gowen – 50 free, 25 free, 25 fly
- Arabelle Roberts – 25 breast
- Will Walker – 25 breast
- Jon Vickers – 50 breast
- Loren O’Steen – 100 IM
The following relay teams won state championships as well:
- Charlie Hobbs, Molly Walker, Hope Tanner, and Olivia Lenzo – Girls 7-8 100 free
- Charlie Hobbs, Hope Tanner, Scout Clements, and Olivia Lenzo – Girls 7-8 100 medley
- Will Walker, Ethan Taylor, Patrick Lenzo, and Barret Harrell – Boys 9-10 100 medley
- Maggie Minchew, Jon Vickers, Loren O’Steen, and Ben Gowen – 13-14 200 mixed medley
- Maggie Minchew, Macon Vickers, Loren O’Steen, and Ben Gowen – 13-14 200 mixed free
- Meaghan Hill, Maddie Booth, Will Vickers, Luke McCarty – 15-18 200 mixed free
- Hogan Doyle, Josie McCarty, Jayla Justice, and Aaron Works – 15-18 200 mixed medley
- Joshua Nixon, Zean Preston, Reed Waldron, and Mathis McCollough – Boys 11-12 200 free
- Emilia Brown, Arabelle Roberts, Anna Lee O’Steen, and Ivey Grantham – 100 medley and 100 free.
Login to post comments