Elton Gregory Griffis, 52, of Douglas has been charged with one count of malice murder in the shooting death of 58-year-old Thomas Lamar Vining.
Deputies responded to a residence off Ramblewood Rd. in the Green Acres community shortly after 5 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 19, 2017 in reference to a report of criminal trespass. While officers were en route to the scene, they were informed Mr. Vining had been shot. He was discovered by deputies with a shotgun wound to his back and transported to Coffee Regional Medical Center, where he succumbed to his injuries.
As with all cases of this magnitude, Coffee County sheriff’s detectives worked closely in collaboration with the district attorney’s office in determining what criminal charges, if any, would be pursued. Mr. Griffis is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Anyone with information pertaining to this case is encouraged to contact the Coffee County Sheriff’s Office at (912) 384-4227 or Coffee County E-911 at (912) 384-7675. Tips can also be left at the TIPS Line, (912) 383-8477.
- Douglas Perimeter Road railroad overpass opening
- Walmart presents check to Wiregrass Tech's Foundation
- Fitzgerald Family Eyecare holds ribbon cutting, open house
- Wednesday afternoon fire destroys home, blocks traffic on North Madison Avenue
- Satilla Riverkeeper hosts River Cleanup at Ava Lightsey Landing on Saturday, April 14